Monday, April 5, 2010

Starlight Hotel



Starlight Hotel was the first film written by my Dad, Grant Hindin Miller. It came out in 1988. Set in the Depression, it tells the story of a young girl Kate (Greer Robson) who runs away from her Uncle and Aunt's farm in Oamaru to find her father in Wellington. She meets Pat (Peter Phelps) who is on the run from the police, having assaulted a bailiff charged with repossessing the property of the poor. They travel the length of the South Island under the guise of father and daughter. It's a beautiful road movie about two loners coming together and beating the odds. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And the soundtrack just about brings me to tears every time I hear it.

Dad got an email last year to say that it was finally going to be released on DVD. Finally. We have a very old copy of it on VHS that splutters and moans every time I try and play it.

But I just found the first five minutes on Youtube.

I'll post more if I find more.

Dad FTW.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Isaac, I never knew your Dad wrote a film. That's, hands down, kick ass. Let us know when the DVD comes out. I can't watch the youTube clip because I'm at work but for sure going to hit it up when I get home.

    You Hindin Millers will never cease to both impress and amaze me.

    ReplyDelete